After meeting with your doctor and nurses, you will be given medication to help you sleep and feel comfortable during the procedure.
The ESG procedure
Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG) is an incisionless, endoscopic procedure performed with the Apollo ESG™ System that leaves no scars. The ESG procedure helps you achieve signiﬁcant, long-lasting weight loss and life-changing results.
Apollo ESG™ is the ﬁrst and only device to be authorized by the FDA to perform the ESG procedure.
Approximately 70%-80% stomach reduction means you feel full with less food, resulting in signiﬁcant weight loss.
Most patients typically go home the same day as the procedure and can return to work in two to three days.
Patients lose an average of 14% of total body weight at year one.¹
How it works
ESG reduces the size of your stomach without incisions or scars using the FDA-authorized Apollo ESG™ System. This small suturing device attaches to a camera passed through your mouth into your stomach while you are asleep. A specially-trained doctor uses the Apollo ESG™ System to sew your stomach into a smaller shape, so you eat less and feel full faster. Watch the video to see how ESG and the Apollo ESG™ System work.
What to expect
Following the ESG procedure, you’ll feel fuller when eating smaller portions and get a better understanding of just how much intake your body needs to lose weight. This helps to develop healthier eating habits moving forward, so you can enjoy sustained results.
Most patients typically can go home the same day. However, there may be some discomfort from the procedure. Do not drive or operate motorized vehicles or equipment the remainder of the day. Avoid alcoholic beverages. You may resume activity as soon as you are comfortable.
To help your stomach heal, you will be on a liquid diet for the first week or two, followed by pureed and soft foods for the next two weeks. Typically, by week four, you will be able to resume eating solid foods. Follow your doctor’s specific instructions.
With less room in your stomach, you should begin to feel full faster and lose weight. The procedure helps you to develop better eating habits and change your lifestyle for lasting results.
Apollo ESG™ can help patients achieve lasting results. It’s an exciting option for those who have not experienced success with diet or exercise alone and are hesitant to pursue more invasive weight loss procedures.
Excess body weight loss 12 months after the procedure.¹
Average total body weight loss at 1 year.¹
Maintained most of their weight loss 2 years after the procedure.1
1: MERIT Study, The Lancet, 2022
ESG Success Stories
ESG Success Stories
*Results are from individual customer testimonials and your results may vary.
Your provider will work with you one-on-one on coverage or financing options for your procedure.
Learning about Apollo ESG
ESG is an endoscopic, incisionless procedure performed by a doctor who sutures the stomach with a specialized device called the Apollo ESG™ System. ESG reduces the stomach size by approximately 70%-80% using six to eight sutures. This limits the amount of food consumed and the number of calories absorbed by the stomach. It also prolongs the time food remains in the stomach, so you feel full longer.
According to a clinical study, patients lose an average of 14% of their body weight 12 months after undergoing the ESG procedure. Results will vary by person.
The sutures are made of durable, permanent material that does not dissolve. Over time, there will be scarring and bridging tissue to maintain the reduced stomach size and sleeve-like shape. In the event the sutures break, or the sleeve-like shape stretches, retightening can be performed.
The most common side effects are gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, constipation, burping or diarrhea. These symptoms typically resolve within 30-60 days.
All procedures have risk. Patients should talk with their doctor and understand all risks before having any procedure.
Apollo ESG™ is for adults with obesity and body mass index (BMI) between 30-50 kg/m2 who have not been able to lose weight or maintain weight loss through diet and exercise alone. Patients who are unable to have an upper endoscopy, are pregnant, are using certain types of blood-thinning medications or have malignant tissue, large hiatal hernia, potentially bleeding gastric lesions, or eating disorders, are not eligible for the procedure. Talk to your doctor about whether you are a candidate for ESG.
Apollo ESG™ Safety Information for Patients
- Apollo ESG™ devices are made to help you lose weight by reducing the size of your stomach and increasing the time it takes for food to pass through your stomach.
- For Apollo ESG™ you need to follow a healthy diet and exercise program to lose weight. You may not lose weight if you do not adopt healthy habits. Your doctor’s clinical team, including dieticians, nutritionists and/or exercise trainers, should help you on your weight loss journey.
- Apollo ESG™ System is for adults with obesity (BMI 30-50kg/m2) who have not been able to lose weight and keep it off through more conservative measures (e.g., diet and exercise).
- Your doctor will ask you about your medical history and will also perform a physical examination to determine your eligibility for the Apollo ESG™ device. Additionally, at the time of your procedure, the doctor may identify internal factors, such as stomach ulcers or erosive gastritis, which may prevent you from receiving the device.
- You must not receive Apollo ESG™ if you are pregnant.
- You must not receive Apollo ESG™ if you have an eating disorder (anorexia nervosa, binge eating disorder, etc.).
- All procedures have risk. Patients should talk to their doctor and understand all risks before having a procedure.
- Nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, constipation, eructation, constipation, heartburn and diarrhea are common after the ESG. Gastrointestinal bleeding may also be experienced following these procedures. More serious complications have been reported, though these are relatively rare.
- While many patients are discharged from hospital on the day of their procedure, some patients may stay in hospital or return to hospital for assistance with symptoms associated with acclimating to the sleeve. Symptoms are most often treated with IV fluids or medication, but medical intervention may be required.
- Call your doctor if you have any concerns about your health or well-being following an ESG.
- Some patients may not lose weight following a procedure with Apollo ESG™. Others may lose weight and then report that they no longer feel full after a meal, like they did when they first had their procedure. In such cases, the sleeve may have been compromised. Talk to your doctor about your options. You may be a candidate to have the sleeve restored or to have another type of weight loss procedure.
- If you have additional questions, talk with your doctor. For full safety information, visit apolloendo.com/dfus .
CAUTION: Rx only.
Individual Weight Loss May Vary.